Chicagomuzik

I've got a whole city to hold down

January 14, 2005

Righteous babes

Last Friday everyone in town wrote about Kevin Tihista. Nothing against the guy, but this week things are more interesting - everybody's got a different ass-kicking lady in the interview chair.

Greg Kot dissects Jean Grae's appeal: "Grae's rapping style [is] slightly unhinged, raging. Though she was drawn to hip-hop as an outlet for her writing skills, her off-the-cuff unpredictability makes her a magnetic performer." (Wednesday 1/19 at the Abbey Pub with Diverse)

Kathryn Frazier hips Bob Mehr to the Biz3 dance parties at Sonotheque: "The idea was to bring people who don't normally play together, or to pair real DJs with people who've never spun in their lives," says Frazier. "For us, it was just about having our favorite people come and play their favorite records."

Last but definitely not least, Jim DeRogatis updates Neko Case's progress toward a new album - as well as her roots in women's professional wrestling. "I watched Lipstick & Dynamite, Piss & Vinegar, the film that Ruth Leitman made about female wrestlers in the '50s, and the crazy thing was that the first wrestler they interview turned out to be my great aunt," Case tells him. "She says, 'My real name was Elsie Shefschenko,' and I was like, 'Huh? That's my real name!' I called my grandma and it turned out, 'Oh, yeah, she's a famous wrestler.' I knew there must be some lady like me somewhere in the family!" (tonight, 1/14, at Metro with the Sadies and Low Skies)