Chicagomuzik

I've got a whole city to hold down

December 14, 2004

Buddy Guy named to rock hall

"Chicago blues legend Buddy Guy is the dean of the new performers being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. ... Guy, 68, gained entry on his first nomination. 'I'm a bit hyped,' Guy said Monday night from Buddy Guy's Legends, his South Loop club. 'I have to wait for this to set in. This is a dream come true.' [It's] a million miles away from Guy's roots as the son of a Louisiana sharecropper [who] migrated north in the fall of 1957. 'When I came to Chicago, you had to play the top 10, records on the jukebox,' Guy explained. 'Every blues bar had Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Lloyd Price, Muddy Waters. If you could play all them, you could make $2 a night. In the 1960s they started calling that rock 'n' roll.'"
- Dave Hoekstra, Chicago Sun-Times

"'It's better late than never,' Guy said Monday night. 'Actually, I'm happy. The sad part is most of the great black musicians get more recognition after they die.' Guy, who lives in Orland Park, said he'd like to dedicate his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame entry to Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and other legends who showed him the ropes here in the city of the blues. Howlin' Wolf died in 1976 and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the same year. Waters died in '83 and was inducted in '87. Guy said it is his duty to carry on a tradition started by greater men than he is. 'I'm trying to carry the load on my shoulders,' he said humbly. 'Everything I know I learned from them.'"
- Vickie Snow, Daily Southtown