Chicagomuzik

I've got a whole city to hold down

May 26, 2004

The Way The Music Died

Posted by Lazlo Hollyfeld

I generally enjoy PBS' Frontline, but maybe they should stick to political topics. Because what I'm reading about the show that will air here Friday (and re-broadcast on 6/3) leaves me curious to watch only in that "can't turn away from a train wreck" kind of way.

They've decided to tackle the current state of the music biz, and they're using Woodstock as their jumping off point ("The modern music scene was created in 1969, at Woodstock..."). Such luminaries as David Crosby (representing the old guard) and Velvet Revolver (covering the new kids trying to make it) will fill the two hours. Nic Harcourt & Danny Goldberg are also quoted in the press release.

Over/Under on how much of this I can sit through without flipping away: 6.5 minutes. Though if I'm subjected to any Woodstock-era Wavy Gravy footage, it'll be less than that.