Chicagomuzik

I've got a whole city to hold down

March 31, 2004

Paging Clarence

We don't want to beat this Clarence Page thing into the ground (if you're not up on it, scroll down a few posts for the back story), but thought we'd toss this into the fray. What if, instead of outright condemning "hip-hop culture" in his column of last week, Page had said something like this:

"I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it. And I think you'd better listen to it pretty carefully, 'cause it's important. ... Do I think that sometimes some lyrics in some songs have stepped over what I consider to be a reasonable line? Yeah, I do. I think when you start talking about killing cops or something like that, it bothers me. [But] I understand, [and] I'm still listening because I know that it's a reflection of the street and it's a reflection of life, and I understand all that."

By the way, those words were spoken by one John Kerry.

No, we had no idea either.